Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Darlinghurst Blog: Past and Present: 465 Liverpool Street

This picture of the corner shop at the crossroads of Barcom and Liverpool streets was taken in 1940. Back in those days it was owned by Mr Luckie (true story - see his name above the door) and was frequented every day by the children from Darlinghurst Public School across the road. 
Oh, how things have changed. Today the shop is no longer there, having been converted into a house, complete with venetian blinds, sometime last century. 


I'm guessing it was built in the 1890s? My friend John Webber said I should have returned to re-shoot the building from the same angle as the archive shot, but ah well, I'm sure you can imagine it.

Links:

4 comments:

Robyn McTaggart said...

What a great memory .. we used to buy our lunches there & when in primary school, our teacher Miss Fitzgerald, when we were chosen as teachers pet for the day, sent us across to Luckies to buy Minties that she would hand out to the 'good' kids. It was such an honour to be the one chosen.

Robyn McTaggart said...

What a great memory .. we used to buy our lunches there & when in primary school, our teacher Miss Fitzgerald, when we were chosen as teachers pet for the day, sent us across to Luckies to buy Minties that she would hand out to the 'good' kids. It was such an honour to be the one chosen.

Lynne said...

My teacher was also Miss Fitzgerald, Headmistress of the Infants Section. I also purchased my lunch as Mrs Luckies.

Anonymous said...

I worked briefly for a Russian shipping company in 1995. My boss owned this house at the time